Saturday, May 22, 2010

The way I do

I am a huge, huge fan of Gretchen Rubin's blog The Happiness Project. A lot of my friends and family know this, because I am constantly quoting her and referring to her. Her most recent post refers to the maxim of hers that I quote the most, the one that gets me to floss my teeth more than any amount of dental work ever did: "What you do every day matters more than what you do once in a while."

I think that her blog is also where I read "How you do anything is how you do everything." This has been distressing me lately. Today is a good example.


I got into gym clothes five hours ago, but have not yet made it to the gym, despite the fact that the gym is a seven minute stroll from my house. I have also opened my work document, done a preliminary work-related search, and have three browser tabs open related to work . . . but have not done any actual work.

I have eaten ham and crackers, cheese and crackers, and consumed 1.5 peach refreshers (fizzy water + peach juice). I also did my nails:
OPI Absolutely Alice (three coats + Seche Vite topcoat)

When I walked into the courtyard/foyer to take the photo of my nail polish in sunlight, I checked to make sure the front door was staying ajar. As I got over to the sliver of sun by the wall, I heard it swing shut, locking me out. Very grateful for the roll-up screens and the fact that I've been leaving the laundry-room window cracked.

I think it's clear why I'm a little depressed about the "anything/everything" maxim, yes?

No comments: